New Working from Home Deduction
- The ATO is announcing special arrangements this year due to COVID-19 to make it easier for people to claim a tax deduction when they are working from home.
- The new arrangement will allow people to claim a rate of 80c per hour (commencing 1st March 2020) for all their running expenses, rather than needing to calculate costs for specific running expenses.
- You will still be required to keep a record of the number of hours worked from home, as evidence of your claim
- Multiple people living in the same house can claim this new rate. For example, a couple living together could each individually claim the 80c per hour rate.
- The requirement to have a dedicated work from home area has also been removed.
For a copy of the Media Release and ATO Fact Sheet, see below.